Wednesday, January 1, 2014

YOA Update #1: Launching Awesome

Thanks, don't mind if I do!
As promised, I'm making 2014 the Year of Awesome (YOA)!  I'm excited to see where this year and awesome take me.  My hope is to provide regular updates on how I'm bringing more awesome into my life.

Before I begin, I want to comment on Esquire's "The 27 Things to Leave Behind in 2014" currently making the social media rounds.  Though I'm not one for "chillaxing" nor would I
ever tell anyone to "bringing your 'A' game," in no way will I renounce "awesomeness" this year.  


I know it won't manifest as some may like or expect (new car, trip to Bermuda, winning lottery ticket), but that's the cool thing about awesome.  There's no universal measurement, scale, or currency.  Awesome is self-defined and, like Jello, comes in all shapes, sizes, and forms.  The true awesome test:  does my 3rd grade friend approve?


I've yet to work on my cursive, but out of a moment of exhaustion, I discovered pure awesomeness in a sedentary object; and from this object, a brilliant idea took shape.  By way of introduction, I wish I had an over
the top, Great Gatsby-esque New Year's Eve party to embellish.  How at the stroke of midnight, I gazed into a young Robert Redford's, not Leonard DiCaprio, eyes while a backdrop of confetti cast a superficial beauty over a glamor yet gluttonous soiree.  How I momentarily felt like Maria Carey in Glitter minus the bad acting and cleavage.  Such a far fetched dream sequence, unfortunately, doesn't exist.  All I have is Carson Daily and my couch (Wow, the second post where I've reference my sofa.  I. Need.  Help.)


It happened a week before Christmas after getting home late from a holiday party.  Though it was way past my "school night" bedtime, I wanted to see who won the Voice before finding out through a radio or internet spoiler the next morning.  With heavy eyelids, I fast forwarded through the entire show and conceded, "I'm going to regret this tomorrow." Once the winner's name was announced (certainly no surprise), confetti streamed everywhere.  While the winner cried beauty pageant style and hugged Carson, I thought about how awesome such a moment would be and asked myself, "Doesn't everyone deserve at least one confetti moment in life?"  Fighting yet another yawn, I decided my life would not be complete or awesome without a confetti launcher to call my own.



I wonder how much this baby costs?  Do I need a permit?
Go ahead and sarcastically say it, "A confetti launcher?"  Yes, a confetti launcher!  Just think...  What if every time someone did something awesome, as individually assessed, confetti triumphantly and colorfully propelled into the air.  Assuming there's no responsibility for clean up wouldn't this be awesome?  Not sure what I mean?  Consider one of the scenarios below:

#1. You're at the office and notice the copier has a paper jam.  You open every door, drawer, and slot to finally pull out a crumpled, ink splattered piece of paper, "Swoosh!"  Glittering paper particles are everywhere.  You single-handedly have brought productivity back to everyone's day!  


#2. Helping your kid with math homework, you reach into the depths of your brain to remember the rules of fourth grade fractions.  After painstakingly completing the first problem, you check the answer key in the back of the book.   You're elated find that that you, I mean your kid, got it right, "Woosh!"  Your dining room ceremoniously is transformed into a Disneyland parade and you're the grand marshal!


#3. In February watching the BIG GAME with friends, you catch a glass slipping off the table right before it hits the white carpet, "Thoosh!"  Within seconds you're boosted onto the shoulders of your buddies while We are the Champions triumphantly plays in the background! (song sold separately).


Think of the possibilities from a global perspective!  Could a confetti launcher bring people of opposing cultures together; broker peace among waring nations and reality TV stars?  Why not!?!?
 Instead of launching a controversial rocket, what if Kim Jong-un, the Dictator of North Korea, launched confetti? Here in the U.S., what if the Duck Dynasty dudes made confetti launchers?  Everyone would support their pro projectile paper stance.  Even the Kardashians... Okay, so not even a confetti launcher kan komplete kure khaos and krazy (I know…  I kouldn't resist.)


YUM!
After several evenings of product research and price comparison (where's Consumer Reports when you need it), I decided not to pull the trigger, literally or figuratively, on a purchase. Though I know the concept will someday make someone millions, and they not me will win a Noble Prize for initiating world peace, I have realized this: I don't need an actual confetti launcher to have such moments.  I will celebrate the awesomeness (take that Esquire) of simple victories this year and avoid getting arrested for an improper permit (a true win/win).  Will my 3rd grade friend be disappointed?  Maybe for a while, but cookies are always a great consolation prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment