Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Year of Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Hear, hear!  An even numbered New Year!
Looking for a more direct way to engage with marketing and communications professionals, last year about this time, I started volunteering for a local chapter of a non-profit business communicators' trade association.  I specifically decided to work with the professional development committee responsible for providing engaging and relevant content to the association's membership.

During our recent 2014 planning meeting, we discussed the results of a survey asking for members' feedback on event content for the new year. Though the number of respondents was lower than anticipated, their top choice was not.  Social Media, Social Media, Social Media (written with a Jan Brady inflection)!

While brainstorming ideas for the association's spring workshop, professional social media learnings and challenges were shared.  My fellow committee members took turns adding their perspectives, and I sat back and thought about my blog.  Perhaps in my few short months as a blogger, I'd distorted my position on social media by downplayed it's relevance in the career and job search process.  Although I still believe that social media alone will not allow candidates to effectively share their professional stories; I know that it will play an even bigger role for businesses and business professionals in 2014.

Predicting Job Search and Career Trends in 2014.
Days after our meeting, I revisited my thoughts on 2014.  Aside from social media, what trends would be most relevant to job seekers and those looking for career advancement?  I remembered back to a conversation with several recruiter peers where we discussed this exact topic.  Competing for the same jobs and talent, we guardedly chatted about our own businesses and shared safe and obvious predictions for the New Year.  Many topics were vetted, but we unanimously agreed on two:  the continued increase in contract work and, again cue the Jan Brady inflection, Social Media, Social Media, Social Media!

IN A CONTRACT STATE OF MIND
The timing of my last post, Why Contract, now seems serendipitous.  Not only are my fellow recruiters projecting contract to increase in 2014, so are employment experts.  According to Forbes, 33 percent of employed Americans in 2014 will be contract workers.  This certainly validates that our nation's contingent workforce isn't merely a short-term business strategy.  More companies are now understanding the cost savings associate with contract, as well as valuing the specialized skills and expertise these workers bring to bottom lines.  As for contractors and those considering such work, the opportunity to take more ownership of one's professional future is an appealing proposition that many no longer are passing up.

With an increase in contract hiring, there is a possibility that talent supply could shrink.  This would leave employers with less options and higher job placement costs.  Though 2014 will not be considered a job seeker's market, I do believe competition among recruiters for top candidates will prevail.  Will we experience the higher bill rates and counteroffers of pre-recession recruiting?  Only the progression of this year will tell, but my guess is yes.

With cautious signs of optimism pointing to continued economic recovery, employers not only will be in a contract state of mind, but open to hiring workers contract to permanent.  Thought I didn't specifically define it in my last post, I mentioned that contract was a good opportunity for temporary workers to gain permanent employment.  Contract to permanent essentially is a try before you buy hiring model - an employment audition if you will.  It however,  isn't just an audition for the employer.  Contract to perm allows a worker to internally assess a company's culture and a hiring manager's business style before committing long term.


"Gee Greg, you took the attic, so I took all your Linkedin connections!"
MARSHA, MARSHA, MARSHA!
There's no denying that the internet now creates an even bigger marketplace for jobs through social media and will continue to do so in 2014.  On Forbes.com Jason DeMers writes, "I believe the tipping point in public sentiment from 'should have' to 'must have' will occur in 2014."  While Mr. DeMers is referring to businesses, his statement applies to job seekers as well.  We no longer can reject the importance of social media in job searches; and when I say social media, I'm referring to Linkedin.  Job searches, networking, and content posting can be accomplished through a number of social media platforms.  Like Elvis, Linkedin remains King, and I agree with the expert who said, "Linked in so you're not left out."

If I were a proponent of public shaming (or water boarding, but let's be clear I'm not on either account), I wouldn't hesitate to call out a certain Linkedin resistant someone.  I don't understand how a successful businessman incredibly adept within his profession (did I mention good looking?) isn't on Linkedin?  We've talked about it, and he's well aware of Linkedin's professional benefits, so why the hesitancy?  Perhaps the stats below will give his numbers-driven brain further incentive:

HARD TO IGNORE LINKEDIN STATS (courtesy of Linkedin)

  • The world's largest professional network on the internet
  • 259 million members on over 200 countries and territories
  • Two new members join every two seconds
  • Over 10 million endorsements are given daily
  • 66 percent of member are located outside the US
  • Students and recent college grads are the fastest growing demographic and currently make up 30 million members

Once he figures out I'm talking about, but not giving him away publicly, "You're welcome!  I aspect an invite to connect soon!"

For those like Mr. Handsome, fear not!  I'm dedicating my January RANTS to all things Linkedin - creating a profile, networking, joining groups, getting recommendations, giving endorsements, and more.  I'll also focus on how resumes should different from Linkedin profiles, but I digress...

… And for those who already have an established online footprint, 2014 will bring savvy employers that know how to cut through the professional fluff on social media.  These employers will educate their HR teams and hiring managers to assess personal content on a candidate's Linkedin profile, personal website, Twitter, as well as other social media feeds.  More then ever before, businesses will use this information to determine whether candidates are fits for positions, teams and company cultures.  If a candidate tweets obsessively protesting the use of GMOs, they probably won't be getting that PR job at Monsanto.  Just saying...

That's right, "Resume Oblivion!"
Another hiring tactic employers will more thoroughly deploy is candidate filtering.  What the Wall Street Journal calls "resume oblivion," and I define as the place resumes go to die with no candidate followup or feedback EVER, only will become more populated because of increase filtering.  One such filtering criterion is not having a college degree.  Though small to mid sized companies many not indulge in such tactics, they will review candidates' online footprints again to determine positions and culture fits.  To close the corporate skills gap, many companies also will subject candidates to comprehensive strategic and analytical tests.

I'd be remiss not to acknowledge Google+,  a rising social media star that I'll write more about in January. Below are a few 2014 social media honorable mentions:
  • More user friendly profiles
  • Profile head shots, not selfies
  • Increased use of key words
  • Linkedin and Twitter URLs on resumes
  • Googling yourself
  • Blogging as a content expert

Though we haven't finalized the speaker for our April workshop, I'm confident that Marsha, I mean social media will prevail and Jan Brady will remain the jealous and insecure middle child.  Actually, I have a feeling that she wouldn't have liked Social Media, Social Media, Social Media anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment