Monday, November 4, 2013

My First RANT

Many years ago while at a career crossroads and on a visit home, I sat down with my dad for some advice.  In those days, Dad was the first in an eventual and slightly long succession of professional sounding boards, as his approach to life, family, and work was often a gentle combination of common sense and humor.  "Call me anything Gretch, just don't call me late for supper!"  Though I sometimes hated to admit it, Dad was usually right.


Summer of 1978 with Dad in the garden.
Evidence of my impressive work ethic at a young age.

As we talked, mostly me talking and him listening, (Dad was a great listener), I shared the responsibilities in each of my previous jobs that I liked and those I didn't.  After about an hour of thoughtful reflection on my years of marketing and advertising experience, as well as time spend working in Washington, D.C., I came to what I now consider a professional epiphany.  "You know,'' I said in an impassioned tone, "I really like networking.  I love meeting with other marketing professionals, talking about what they do, learning more about their career paths, the companies they've worked for, and want to work for."

As I spoke in escalated excitement, Dad continued to nod his head looking down at the table, lips slightly pursed, as if in deep contemplation.  After my impassioned RANT finally came to an end, I paused expectantly looking to him for feedback.  "Well... (this is something he said often)  Looking for jobs won't pay the bills, Gretch."

While Dad certainly was right about not getting paid to spend my life in a constant state of job search, I could spend my career helping others find their first, next, or final professional adventure.

With a little common sense and lots of humor, this is what I've chosen to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment