Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Best of Resume RANTS: Ho, Ho, Ho-w Soon Can He Start?

BLOGGER'S NOTE:  Welcome to the Best of Resume RANTS!  Thought this post was originally shared last holiday season, minus my niece and nephew's even pricier wishlist, the information remains relevant. The holidays still are a great time to conduct a job search!

One of the biggest misconceptions about the holidays, and there are many, is that it's a bad time for a job search.  Right after Halloween, I caught myself telling several resume clients that they should expect things to start slowing down the closer we get to Thanksgiving.  Later that day, I happened to get a call from a family friend wondering about my holiday plans, "Are you working again on Christmas Eve?"


Which one is the white elephant?
Last year...  Lovely family dinner on the table, meticulously wrapped presents under the tree, niece and nephew brimming with anticipation, "Will I get an iPod Touch?"  AND, how could I forget, urgent emails from anxious managers with use it or lose it end of year budgets and last minute hiring needs.  Nothing says Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah like, "I need three business analysts by the end of the week!"


My point, companies do hire during the holidays!  Consider the following before taking a holiday job search hiatus.

SANTA IS COMING TO TOWN
He may be coming to town, but that doesn't mean corporate American is shutting down.  Now more than ever departments, teams, and individuals are responsible for meeting aggressive sales and growth goals.  As I share above, managers often must meet end of the year budget deadlines and allocate Q1 funds, so crucial resources are not lost.  Nowadays, I find holiday eve emails more the rule than exception.

Though schedules are chaotic and the interview process slower, the holidays are a great time to maintain search momentum and stay on a hiring manager's radar.  Career experts say, and I agree, that it's not uncommon for hiring managers to make job offers before January 2.

HOLIDAY FAIL
A few years ago, I was asked by a hiring manager to make an offer to a candidate she had interviewed prior to Thanksgiving.  For the next week, I left message after message both voicemail and email. I eventually conceded that the candidate had accepted another offer and shared this assumptive bad news with the client.  When the candidate finally called  back, of course after the job was offer to someone else, "Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  I went on a last minute vacation.  I didn't think that anyone really got hired during the holidays!"

It's unfortunate, but true that most job seekers put their searches on standby this time of year.  They make the misguided assumption that no one is hiring and simply stop looking.  Since this is a prevailing philosophy, fewer are looking, and subsequently a higher percentage of job seekers are finding jobs (Say what?).  So those whose advice is to take a break from the search smile and respond, "Thanks for the great advice!"  That's one less competitor.

Twist on the holiday classic!
PASS TH EGGNOG-TINI!
Let me tell you, holiday parties, and everyone has them, are a great place to network.  With the promise of future days off dancing in their heads, the yuletide cheer managers will spread.  Be creative and think of holiday time obligations such as church, synagogue, or community functions, as well as children's holiday concerts, a spouse's office gathering, or a friend's annual Bing Crosby sing along as opportunities to network. Sending out holiday cards? Expand the list to include professional contacts.  Wish them a Happy New Year and ask if they know anyone looking to hire.
Latkes are traditional Hanukkah festivities fare!
THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE LATKES
The holidays are an excellent time to prioritize and set career and job search goals.  Updating resumes and practicing interview skills are activities that should commence prior to the festivities of New Year's Eve.  It's important to be ready for opportunities at companies that start hiring again January 2.  I often tell my resume clients that once a manager come out of their holiday coma, they'll launch back into starting new projects and adding resources.  Be one of those resources.

As the classic song croons, "I'll be home for Christmas..."  My RANT response, "Great, that will give you more time to work on your resume!"

No comments:

Post a Comment